Sunday 16 September 2012

Two Things I have Learnt About the English

21st August 2012
Location: Prague
I am currently in the dining section of the train as I couldn’t find enough space to breath, let alone write in the train cabin filled with five other people. The train is quite warm but I’m grateful for the lack of aircon- that stuffs horrible. It’s probably more likely to make you ill than sticking your tongue up a flu infested dustbin man’s nose. I’m not saying there's anything wrong with dustbin men, just that they have to rummage around in everyone else’s germs. Kind of like a shopping bag full of infection.
Prague was the best place we have visited so far! Last night, after dinner, we bumped into (not literally) our 'night before friends'. I like to call them that, as one night of meeting doesn’t mean you are true friends, just that everyone is kind of your friend after a few drinks and chatting. They invited us to go along with them to get some wine and sit by one of the many river banks. It was so picturesque with the night sky, the lit up bridges in the background and the sound of an acoustic guitar. It felt like something out of a movie, but obviously some of that giddy feeling was also coming from Mr Sauvignon Blanc himself ;). We all sat round listening to the guitar, absorbing our surroundings and talking about not only our own countries, but our opinion on everyone else’s.
I think this is probably one of the best things about travelling for me, is that you could be sitting down with a group of people, and nearly each individual person is from a different country. It’s brilliant. Our company last night consisted of people from England, France, Miami, Poland, Israel, Canada and Spain.
So there we all were each talking about different things about each other’s countries. The conversation was flowing as were the drinks. By this point I had drank a bottle of wine, and when I do drink, that filter from mind to mouth starts to disintegrate. As I felt more comfortable around these people I started to swear a lot. Not in an alarming manor just throw the odd one in here and there- or in every fucking sentence. not only that but I also have a habit of having many voices- by this I mean I put on many accents and characters during my day to day life, I suppose to spice things up a little. Actually I’m not quite sure why I do it. So being around all these different countries my brain was getting rather excited picking up all these new ways of saying different words, and all these new accents. They started to drown my mouth and I couldn’t hold them back anymore. With every person I spoke to I adopted there accent and spoke back to them in a similar way (but obviously a worse version). It was extremely embarrassing for both me and Kei but I just couldn’t stop, it was like someone had pulled the plug. Our 'night before friends' didn’t seem to notice, or they were just too polite/offended to mention.
Although come to think of it, the guy from Israel did actually make a comment, and considering I was the only English girl at the gathering, I think I can comfortably say it was aimed at me.
He Said "I don't really like English girls, they swear too much and get drunk to easily."
Haha the whole thing is pretty funny now though.
Ok so the actual point of this post was to let you all know that I have found out two important facts about English people, and I feel the need to enlighten you all. So here goes:
1. We are arrogant as fuck in the sense that we don't bother to learn other languages but our own.
2. Our knowledge on other countries is poor. This is either because we are on a rather small island of our own so we maybe feel less connected, or that we are just arrogant as fuck.
Oh and not forgetting...
3. English girls swear too much and get drunk to easily.
Thank you all for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment